Cougars host third meet of season

WSU will compete at home for first time this year

Cougars host third meet of season

Then-freshman sprinter Cordelia Olson sprints down the track during her 200-meter dash heat at the WSU Indoor Open on Jan. 20, 2018, in the Indoor Practice Facility.

SIGMUND SEROKA, Evergreen reporter

WSU’s track and field program will kick off its first home meet at 4 p.m. Friday at the Indoor Practice Facility. This event will start on Friday and end on Sunday with the indoor open.

The men’s triple jump and pole vault will start at 4 p.m. Friday followed by women’s weigh in and the men’s weigh in. Women’s triple jump finishes the first of the three-day event at 5:30 p.m.

The next day begins with men’s long jump and women’s qualifying 60-meter hurdles. There will be two qualifying rounds for each gender that will take place 20 minutes apart.

Sunday, the final day for the event, is considered an open track and field meet. The field events will begin at 9:30 a.m. while 10 a.m. will mark the beginning of the running events.

Looking at the Cougars’ last indoor meet in Seattle against UW, many notable finishes stood out among WSU’s team. Senior Peyton Frederickson paved the way and claimed first in the high jump, clearing a total height of 6 feet 10 ¾ inches.

Right behind Frederickson was sophomore Mitch Jacobson who earned second place in the high jump with a total height of 6 feet 8 ¾ inches. For the running portion of the meet, redshirt junior Paul Ryan placed 20th in the 3000 meter race with a time of 8:14.13.

Redshirt senior Natalie Ackerly and sophomore Zorana Grujic brought success in the women’s 800-meter event as Ackerley placed third. Grujic was close behind in fifth place. Another impressive finish from the running portion of the event was the women’s 4×400 meter relay that also relied on Ackerly, Zorana, redshirt junior Grace Victor and sophomore Jelena Grujic.

The relay team placed fifth overall by clocking in just under four minutes at 3:55.62. All of these performances are strong takeaways coming into the beginning of the season as the Cougars look to bring the momentum to Pullman.

WSU will be looking to improve their already-successful performances from their first few meets this season. The chance to grow and become even better than the meet before will come starting 4 p.m. Friday at the Indoor Practice Facility.

The story has been updated to reflect to correct location of where the track meet will take place. The event will be held at the Indoor Practice Facility not inside Hollingbery Fieldhouse.

SIGMUND SEROKA, Evergreen reporter

Sigmund Seroka is a junior broadcast journalism major from Prosser, Wash., he is left handed.