Leach to teach leadership seminar at WSU

Head football coach teams up with former Washington senator to lecture on insurgent warfare, football strategies

LUKE HOLLISTER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

WSU Head Coach Mike Leach yells from the sideline during a game against Stanford in Martin Stadium on Oct. 31, 2017.

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen deputy sports editor

WSU head football coach Mike Leach is now officially a professor.

He and Spokane County Treasurer Mike Baumgartner will teach an extracurricular leadership seminar called “Leadership Lessons in Insurgent Warfare and Football Strategies” starting March 27 on the WSU Pullman campus.

The non-credit seminar is only open to WSU students and there will be four classroom sessions. The first session will be taught March 27 and the next three will be held April 3, 10 and 17.

The final session of the seminar will be live streamed from The Spark: Academic Innovation Hub and be open to the public. Attendees to this seminar will have the opportunity to ask Leach and Baumgartner questions.

The pair will discuss leadership strategies they have acquired through their experiences during the seminar, according to a WSU news release.

How do students get into the seminar?

WSU students can apply online to be in the seminar starting Tuesday and only 40 students will be accepted. Applications will be evaluated on a first-come, first-serve basis and no course fees are being charged for the seminar.

No academic credit will be given for taking part in the seminar. Students will be asked to respond to the following two essay questions as part of the application process: 1. Can the British strategy in the Malaya insurgency be used today? and 2. Is the wishbone a potentially viable offense for the NFL? Why or why not?

Leach and Baumgartner will review all the responses to the essay questions, according to the release. There is also a 200-word limit for each response to the essay questions.

More application details will be made available Tuesday.

Baumgartner spent eight years as a Washington state senator and previously served as a U.S. State Department officer in Iraq.