An enlightening experience

A selection of weed strains on display and for sale at Satori, which students voted best marijuana dispensary in Pullman.

JESSICA ZHOU, Evergreen assistant news editor

With just under a year in Pullman, local marijuana dispensary Satori has established itself as a student favorite since it opened last spring on May 12.

“When you come to Satori, it’s an experience, it’s kind of like a show,” purchasing and store manager Roneé Nemechek said.

Satori is a Buddhist term meaning “awakening” or “enlightenment.” This word relates to the legal cannabis market and is appropriate in describing the shop’s mission of catalyzing an awakening within the constraints of cultural norms.

Satori’s owner, Justin Wilson, who also has a shop in Spokane, has supported the legalization of marijuana for 25 years.

The store builds relationships with its regular customers and fields recommendations for new products to sell, he said. Many other products are handpicked after a careful selection process.

“Each person that works here loves what they do,” Nemechek said, “and their love for cannabis is apparent.”

The store features a variety of products, such as flowers, edibles, concentrates, pre-rolls and gels at various prices. Nemechek works with more than 40 producers, and the shop features more than 500 products.

The store offers themed weekly deals: Sunday Funday, all-day deals; Munchie Monday, deals on edibles; Phat Tuesday, sales on Phat Panda and Sticky Frog products; and Weed Smoke It Wednesday, deals on products recommended by employees.

Since moving from California, Nemechek said she found a welcoming community within the local cannabis industry.

“We have a very good relationship with the shops next door,” Nemechek said. “People from the other stores shop here and vice versa. At the end of the day, we all share the same passion.”