Soccer is golden against Golden Bears

Team travels to the bay this last weekend to take on Cal at home

Sophomore defender Mykiaa Minniss (23) and junior defender Brianna Alger (10) go after the ball against Oregon State University on Sept. 28 at the Lower Soccer Field.

JACLYN SEIFERT, Evergreen reporter

No. 14 WSU beat No. 20 Cal 1-0 in minute one in overtime Sunday afternoon in Berkeley, California, in a battle between two Top-20 teams.

After 90 minutes, junior forward Makamae Gomera-Stevens scored the second-fastest goal in overtime history for the Cougars with a golden goal in just 1:11 minute.

“It was perfect positioning wise from Mak,” sophomore midfielder Elaily Hernandez-Repreza, who assisted the play, said about her teammate in a post-game interview.

It was her third goal of the season and seventh in her WSU career. Gomera-Stevens is second to graduate student midfielder Averie Collins’ goal. Collins scored only nine seconds into overtime play against Gonzaga earlier this season.

Gomera-Stevens scored the goal off a long throw into the 18-yard box by Hernandez-Repreza where Collins headed the ball into a dangerous area for the Cal defense. Then, Gomera-Stevens bent the ball into the side netting for the only goal of the game.

“This is exactly what we needed so we can walk out with our heads up high,” Hernandez-Repreza said in a post-game interview.

Washington State (9-2-0, 2-1-0) came out eager to play Sunday in Edwards Stadium after a tough 5-0 loss against Stanford on Thursday. Cal (9-3-0, 1-2-0) also looked for a win against the Cougars after a 1-0 loss against Washington.

It meant everything for her to assist a goal for her team after coming off the loss against Stanford, Hernandez-Repreza said in a post-game interview.

Head coach Todd Shulenberger was proud of the road win against Cal after their tough loss. He said the team adapted well to some changes he made after he noticed Cal changed their shape.

With 615 in attendance, the Golden Bears out-shot Washington State 14-9 despite both teams being scoreless after two periods of play.

With only one shot in the first half, WSU had a season-low but fought back against Cal in the second half with seven.

The Cougars had 10 fouls while Cal had only five. Graduate student goalkeeper Ella Dederick had six saves of the game while Cal had three. WSU had six corners. Cal had two.

In the 77th minute, Dederick saved an important shot with her foot to earn her fourth shutout of the year.

To finish out the second half, senior forward Morgan Weaver and Gomera-Stevens both had memorable shots on goal with one hitting the crossbar and another causing the Bears freshman goalkeeper Angelina Anderson to work to make a save.

Anderson was on the U.S. roster for the Under-20 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France during the summer of 2018.

Cal’s senior forward Abi Kim and junior midfielder Emma Westin both had shots to try to put the Bears ahead.

“We are back in it. We are only 2-1 [in conference play], but a long way to go from here now,” Shulenberger said in a post-game interview.

The Cougars welcome Arizona at 7 p.m. on Thursday on the Lower Soccer Field in Pullman.