UREC hosts events for Dad’s Weekend

WSU+University+Recreation+Center+on+Friday+April+8%2C+2019.+

PEYTON TAFFE | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

WSU University Recreation Center on Friday April 8, 2019.

ANDREA GONZALEZ and JOEL KEMEGUE

WSU University Recreation has a schedule of events for Dad’s Weekend at the Chinook and Student Recreation Center.

Matthew Shaw, UREC assistant director for competitive sports and youth programs, said dads, father figures and parents have free access to the Chinook and Student Recreation Center as long as they are accompanied by a student for Dad’s Weekend.

The events over the weekend are fitness classes such as CrossFit and yoga, Dad’s Bench Best Bench Press Competition, Dunking with Dad 2 on 2 Basketball Tournament and a dad’s challenge course, he said.

“These events are healthy and fun activities to do with their parents that students normally wouldn’t do,” Shaw said.

Ramon Sodano, coordinator of fitness services and education, said many other events are expensive so their events are a way for students to spend some quality time with their dad.

The recreation center is supported by the student fees, which pay for the recreation center to be available and fund programs for everyone, Sodano said.

He is overseeing the bench press competition, which consists of both students and dads teaming up to have the highest combined bench press, as determined by wilks score, he said.

The wilks score is a formula of strength to bodyweight number that will be used in the competition, Sodano said.

There will be three attempts for each to max out on a bench press and the person that wins the competition wins a trophy for first place, he said.

Joanne Greene, director of University Recreation Programming, said Dad’s Weekend events are usually chosen based on what worked well in previous years, with something new always added.

“We really want to show parents what their students are getting for their student fees,” Greene said. “We love to have parents come in and try the facilities, especially with their student because we think it adds value and allows parents to see what those fee dollars are going towards.”

Greene said she recommends students bring their dads to the free Crossfit and yoga classes to try something new.