Consider where to live, what it offers

AYA STEWART

Leasing offices can be predatory toward students desperate enough to sign their name on whatever. Take the time to think of more than just price when it comes to signing a lease.

JACQUI THOMASSON, Evergreen chief layout editor

This time of year brings about the all-important question: to renew or not to renew. For those fresh out of the dorms or looking to move, the variety of options can be a lot to take in.

Residences may include personal laundry equipment or access to a community facility. Parking passes may also need to be purchased depending on the location.

Anna Foxley, WSU junior microbiology major, lives in Steptoe Village Apartments. Rent is $660 per month, Foxley said. The rent includes access to the internet. 

She said it can be difficult to rent there because it is for graduate students and families. 

“It’s a pretty nice place. The biggest con is it’s tricky to get in,” Foxley said.

Angel Rivera, WSU senior genetics and cell biology major, said Boulder Creek apartments are cheap and have lots of bus stops nearby. He said he pays $659 in rent per month.

The complex has a community laundry facility which residents need to pay to use, but the cost varies. 

“It depends on the washer and dryer,” Rivera said.

One problem with Boulder Creek is that maintenance does not always clear the snow as much as he would like them to, Rivera said.

Nick Schultheis, WSU senior field crop management major, lives in a condo off campus. Schultheis pays $500 in rent, he said.

He said the condo is farther away from campus, but there is a bus stop right outside. 

“It’s pretty quiet,” Schultheis said. “I would say that’s a pro.”

Rent at some housing locations may also include utilities, while others do not. Some residences are furnished, and some are not. All of this needs to be taken into account when choosing where to live.