Weekend Round-Up

Possible transportation fee increase, new hospitality business director named, and other stories you may have missed

Weekend Round-up

Parking rate increase

WSU parking permit rates and fines could see an increase this July if a new proposition from WSU Transportation Services and the University Parking and Transportation Task Force passes.
The annual parking permit increases would range from $9 to $100, according to the Transportation Services website. Parking fines will increase anywhere from $5 to $35.
Eric Roalson, College of Arts and Sciences faculty senate member, expressed concern from one of his constituents during the senate meeting on Feb. 6.
“The rate changes proposed for the next fiscal year or in general are about 10 percent or more,” Roalson said. “The majority of permit holders have seen a dramatic increase in 2017-2018 by simply changing zones to get around regulations.”
Faculty Senate Chair Greg Couch said parking effects everyone regardless of their salary.
“Parking is a problem,” he said.
According to the website, the proposal would provide funds for projects related to maintenance and repairs to parking garages and parking lots.
Couch questioned the approval process for the rate increases during the senate meeting.
“They have to be approved, they can’t just be dictated,” he said.
Rate increases are subjected to annual task force review and administrative approvals according to the website.
Through Feb. 17, the public can send comments about the proposal to the task force at [email protected].
For a full list of proposed changes, visit the transportation services website.
REPORTING BY JAKOB THORINGTON

WSU director named

Robert Harrington is the new director of Hospitality Business Management in the WSU Carson College of Business.
According to WSU Insider, Harrington was the academic advisor for the Carson College of Business at WSU Tri-Cities. He also worked as a professor in hospitality business management since 2015.
Harrington stepped into the role after the previous director, Nancy Swanger, left to be the director of the Granger Cobb Institute for Senior Living. He will remain in the Tri-Cities, but will still spend time working in Pullman, according to the article.
He will expand on Swanger’s initiative to develop a system-wide perspective for the college, according to the article. He will also monitor undergraduate programs, build upon the reputation of research, and integrate experiential learning opportunities for students.
Harrington’s research includes examining relationships and perceptions of food and wine pairing, as well as the role food or wine play when attracting tourists.
REPORTING BY LAUREN ELLENBECKER

Tax workshops

The Neill Public Library will be hosting workshops for the upcoming tax season.
WSU’s volunteer Income Tax Assistance club which consists of IRS-certified WSU accounting students will be helping people with their taxes.
The event will be hosted every week from noon to 4:30 p.m. on Saturdays until April 4 in the Hecht room.
No appointments are required to receive help.
REPORTING BY ANDREA GONZALEZ

Technology fee

Groups looking for extra funds from the Student Technology Fee committee for the 2021 fiscal year can submit applications no later than 5 p.m. on Feb. 24.
Groups can obtain the request form, process timeline and fee guidelines at budget.wsu.edu/student-technology-fee. Application materials can be sent to [email protected].
Undergraduate students must pay a technology fee to cover a portion of the costs for technology use at WSU such as access to internet and multimedia workstations, according to a press release.
The committee will hold a technology budget and application review at 3 p.m. on Feb. 27 at the French Admin Lighty Building Room 442, according to the press release. Hearings will happen at 5 p.m. on March 3-4 at Room 405 followed by deliberations at 5 p.m. March 5 at Room 405.
The committee allocated a total of $856,189 to 10 groups for the 2019-2020 academic year, according to the budget website.
REPORTING BY ANGELICA RELENTE

Volunteers needed

The Society of Women Engineers Student Chapter at WSU is asking for volunteers for the annual Kid’s Science and Engineering Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on March 28. The event will take place at the Smith Center for Undergraduate Education.
This year’s theme is “A Dive into the Unknown,” focusing on ocean-related topics for K-5 children. Volunteers will help children with hands-on activities in an effort to teach them basic science and engineering concepts. All STEM majors are encouraged to join.
Volunteers can work with one of several sub-committees including operations/setup, t-shirts, registration, SWE activities, program assistants, and club equipment organization.
This will be the eleventh Kid’s Science and Engineering Day event the WSU SWE has held.
The WSU chapter hosts similar outreach events and sponsors students to network at the National SWE Conference through donations. Financial support can be given at https://foundation.wsu.edu/give/ under “WSU priorities” for the “Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Women’s Chapter”.
All volunteers will receive a free t-shirt and lunch during the event. The deadline to sign up is February 25. For more information, the WSUSWE can be emailed at [email protected].
REPORTING BY SYLENA HARPER

Lifestyle class

Pullman Parks and Recreation is offering the second of a two-part class called “No Diets, Just Lifestyle” on Monday. The goal of this class is to support Pullman residents in their nutritional journeys.
The series features key principles to help you succeed in your effort to adopt clean eating habits. Improve your health with lifestyle changes opposed to dieting to lose weight in the short term.
Part one on Monday discussed tips and tricks for clean food shopping, long term goals, and how to view food groups.
According to a Facebook post by Pullman’s Parks and Rec department, part two will focus on continuing to view food groups in new ways and how to further adjust your eating to fit your lifestyle. Recipe ideas will be shared and participants will receive meal ideas to take home.
The event will be held from 6:30-7:30 p.m. on Monday at the Pioneer Center, 240 SE Dexter St. To register, call (509)338-3227 or register online at pullmanparksandrec.com.
REPORTING BY BREANNA ROLEY