Track sets records in Indoor Practice Facility

At home for the Cougar Indoor/Multis Meet, the athletes sporting crimson and gray broke and set new personal bests. There were upwards of 24 personal records set at the completion of the second day of competition at Pullman’s Indoor Practice Facility.

Highlights included standout junior Alissa Brooks-Johnson in the women’s pentathlon. She won with a career-best of 4,101 points placing her third in school history. Throughout each of her five events, Brooks-Johnson also was setting best marks. She beat her 60-meter hurdles by two seconds, her high jump by four inches, her shot put throw by three-feet and long jumped better by 6 and 3/4 inches.

Aside from the individual efforts, the team collected several sweeps of the top three placings in multiple events.

This was demonstrated in the women’s pentathlon, the men’s shot put, the men’s 60-meter hurdles and the women’s 60-meter dash.

After Brooks-Johnson, junior Liz Harper came up second in her first-ever pentathlon with 3,920 points. This score also put her in WSU’s history books making her the fourth-best pentathlete. It was freshman Lindsey Schauble who secured third place with several personal records set in the high jump, shot put and long jump. Schauble scored 3,322 points in the pent.

On the second day, the WSU men gathered a total of five personal best distances for the men’s shot put. The top shot was from senior Matt Wardell of 53 inches. Redshirt junior Adam Mahama set a personal record with his second place win of 51-feet, 7-inches. Coming in third was redshirt sophomore Jake Callaghan with 51-feet, 3 ¾-inches.

The men also kept the victories coming in the 60-meter hurdles.

Junior CJ Allen led the wins with his first place and personal best time of 8.14 seconds. His teammate sophomore Abu Kamara made a season-best time of 8.20. The youngster of the group, freshman Christapherson Grant made a personal record of 8.28 for the hurdles.

The last group of first-second-third wins for the Cougars was in the women’s 60-meter dash.

Making a season-best time of 7.59 seconds, senior Dominique Keel set the tone for the rest of the women sprinters. Right behind her came junior Danielle Darden and then freshman Sarah Stavig, fourth in 7.71, a personal record for Stavig.

These ladies also had a fourth place finisher to fill out the Cougars domination in the 60m dash. Senior Christiana Ekelem crossed the finish line in her best time of 7.75.

Keel, Darden and Ekelem came together with freshman Regyn Gaffney to win the women’s 4×400 meter relay in 3 minutes, 51.49 seconds. Gaffney also won the 400-meter dash with her own best time of 58.97.

The weight throws for men and women had wins as well.

Redshirt junior and captain Travis Pickett was first in the men’s 35-pound weight. His teammate redshirt sophomore Katie Wardsworth won her event, the 20-pound weight throw with 51-feet, 4 ½-inches.

The next meets for the WSU indoor track and field team will be in Albuquerque and Seattle, February 12-13.

Reporting by Casie Moe