Palouse Care Network now offers free, low-cost health care in Pullman

Pullman location opens two blocks from Beasley Coliseum for students, community members without transportation

COURTESY OF AMY MCNELLY

Palouse Care Network cuts the ribbon on its new location in Pullman at an open house event on June 18.

ALEXANDRIA OSBORNE, Editor-in-chief

Editor’s note: a follow-up article has been published containing more details about Palouse Care Network. 

Palouse Care Network opened a second location in Pullman on Monday, creating opportunities for people in the community to utilize resources, like counseling and women’s reproductive health exams, without driving to the Moscow location. 

The Moscow PCN, a faith-based nonprofit organization, has been available for 40 years and provides resources that empower healthy relationship decisions and multiple free and low-cost services, said CEO Amy McNelly.

“We are non-discriminatory and judgment free and really committed to providing care for whoever walks through our doors with no strings attached,” she said. “We’re all excited to welcome anyone and everyone.”

A significant amount of people who utilize the location are college students, specifically from University of Idaho, McNelly said. 

It can be challenging for WSU students to travel to Moscow, especially those without transportation, she said. 

The new Pullman location is located on 1540 NE Stadium Way, which is two blocks from Beasley Coliseum. McNelly said this location right off campus will allow students to walk if they need to.

PCN offers free resources such as parenting classes, materials like diapers and formula, sexual assault support, pornograpy recovery and pregnancy loss support, McNelly said. 

Low-cost services at PCN include screenings for Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Sexually Transmitted Infection and cancer as well as exams for women’s reproductive health, she said. These resources have a $20 office visit fee as well as any lab fees added to that cost. 

Insurance is not required to utilize the resources, McNelly said. 

“If people have inability to pay, we will work with them on that,” she said. 

In 2020, half of women ages 18-49 in the U.S. delayed tests, treatment or follow-up care due to high costs, according to a study from The Commonwealth Fund. Over one quarter of women within this age range spent at least $2,000 in out-of-pocket medical care costs, which discouraged many from seeking treatment.

Women in the U.S. have the highest rate of avoidable deaths, nearly 200 in 100,000, that could have treated or prevented with screenings and immunizations, according to the study.

PCN also offers counseling services for all ages and genders with a certified life coach and a licensed professional counselor, she said. 

“We’re really committed to providing mental health [resources],” she said. “In our area, finding good access to mental health care is sometimes really challenging. We’re excited to be able to offer that here in Pullman, especially to those who can’t afford it because often that’s really expensive.”

Walk-ins are offered at PCN, but people can make an appointment for medical services at the WISH Medical Website, she said. Appointments for social services can be made at the Life Bridge website.