Street Talk: What are you doing this family weekend?

Students, alumni and beyond, these are just some Cougars’ plans for family weekend this spring

BECCA WALKER

Patty Fitzgerald sharing her plans for family weekend, March 27 in Terrell Library.

JOSIE GOODRICH, Reporter/Copy Editor

This spring family weekend, students are preparing for a weekend sleepover with their families.

Patty Fitzgerald, accounting and management information systems senior, said her family has never missed a family weekend. With her last one approaching, her mom and brother are both coming to stay with her.

“Although it kind of sucks, but also really fun, is cramming into my apartment and just having a family sleepover every night,” Fitzgerald said.

Fitzgerald and her family plan to attend the annual AMDT Fashion Show being held on Friday, as she has a couple of friends in the show. Additionally, they will be attending a wine-tasting event at Mary Cellars, she said.

BECCA WALKER
Patty Fitzgerald shares her plans, March 27 in Terrell Library.

Gunner Miller, broadcast news junior, has different plans for his mom when she gets here. On Saturday, they will be going to the opera performance “Once Upon a Mattress” at 2 p.m., followed by the WSU baseball game at 4 p.m., he said. 

The night before on Friday, he plans on having a get-together with all of his friends and their parents, as his mom has yet to meet the friends he has made over the last three years, Miller said.

While his dad came solo for fall family weekend and his mom is coming alone for this family weekend, he is excited to have them come together next year for both weekends, he said.

“I think we’re gonna go back to doing it together next year, I think it’s more fun and they both get to come multiple times, especially before I graduate,” Miller said. “I’m the last kid, so college visits I think they’re trying to treasure that a little bit more.”

Sophomore nursing major Phoebe Schultz is going to have a packed house with her dad, mom, grandma and sister all coming to visit, she said. Shultz, alongside Miller, plans to go to the baseball game to cheer on the Cougs against UCLA.

Shultz is extra excited for family weekend because she is homesick, she said; she is simply ready to see her family.

Sophomore philosophy major Sydney Ries is heading towards her last family weekend as a Coug. With both her parents and her sister being WSU alumni, her dad being a former player on the baseball team, the Coug spirit runs in their blood, she said.

However, Ries is heading to Linfield College in Oregon next year to play softball, so they are going to savor this last weekend as a Coug family before it is over, she said.

“I’m excited to spend the weekend with my family, they get the weekend kind of to reminisce on their times at WSU,” Ries said. “They’re all Coug alumni, so sharing memories is always fun and always a good laugh.”

Other than the baseball games, Ries and her family plan on attending events held by her sorority, Kappa Delta, she said. There are exchanges with fraternities planned, as well as brunches and sisterhoods.

“I definitely look forward to these weekends just because it does bring my family down here and even my sister, so bringing her down for the weekend is always fun,” Ries said. “It’s a fun weekend and it’s fun to see all Greek life get together for the parents.”