Ask Life: What to experience before leaving Pullman?

Get ice cream, see nature and have new experiences
ANNA ADAMS
A view from Kamiak Butte, a hike nearby Pullman.

Dear Life Section,

As sad as it is, I need to consider that I am leaving Pullman in just a few weeks. I want to take advantage of my time here, but I do not know what to do. Do you have any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Last-Minute Planner

Dear Last-Minute Planner,

There is pressure to go out and experience as much as you can before you leave Pullman for good or just for the summer.

First, be flexible and open to opportunities. If someone asks to go somewhere, try saying “yes.” You never know what that word will bring, or what experiences will happen because of it.

As a Pullman native, I feel qualified to suggest some of the best spots on and around the Palouse to experience and see before saying goodbye.

Ferdinand’s Ice Cream Shoppe is a staple of the Palouse you cannot miss. The delicious ice cream at a low price is to die for, not to mention the renowned Cougar Gold Cheese unique only to Pullman.

Some other restaurants to be sure to visit are Sella’s, The Coug and The Old European. All these restaurants are very different from each other and serve a variety of foods. They have been in town for years and are favorites of both visitors and members of the community.

There are also opportunities and events around campus you should not miss. Everyone loves attending a baseball game. Enjoying good weather, cheering on the Cougs and enjoying good food and company — does it get any better than that?

Finally, make the time to venture into the great outdoors. You may think of Pullman as surrounded by wheatfields; however, if you take a couple of steps outside city limits, hidden in the landscape are beautiful hikes and scenery.

Close by, Kamiak Butte is a short hike with a beautiful view of the Palouse. It is a short drive and an easy walk; you have no reason to miss this classic. Wawawai County Park is about a 25-minute drive away from town and part of the Snake River. Whether you enjoy fishing, swimming, barbecuing or sunbathing, this park provides a serene place for it all.

If you have time for a day or half-day trip, consider driving to Palouse Falls. This majestic 200-foot waterfall has drawn national attention for its beauty. Spring is one of the best times to visit because the water flow is the strongest due to snow melt.

Remember to focus on finals because academics come first in school, but be sure to take advantage of any free time you have to experience the places that make Pullman so special.

Sincerely,

The Life Section