Artists bring holiday spirit to Palouse

Dahmen Barn hosted annual Holiday Arts and Crafts Faire on Saturday
ANNA ADAMS
Tracy Randall working on her surface design art at Artisans at the Dahmen Barn’s 18th annual Holiday Arts and Crafts Faire.

Artists came from near and far to sell and display their works at the 18th annual Holiday Arts and Crafts Faire at the Artisans of the Dahmen Barn on Saturday.

Upon entering the Barn, a festive gift shop featuring consignments from both resident artists – artists who have studios in the barn – and outside artists welcomed customers. After meandering through the handmade jewelry, homemade cake mixes and knitted stuffed animals, customers arrived at the resident studios of artists who have their work displayed for sale and are sometimes there working on their products.

Along with the studios on the second and third floors of the barn, the outside vendors had their stands set up with their goods for sale. The artwork ranged from woodwork and quilting to painting, blown glass and more.

Julie Hartwig, Barn curator and manager, said the number of outside vendors attending the Gala grew from 15 last year to 22. Some artists were from the Palouse and others traveled from Spokane, Cheney and Clarkston, along with Moscow and Lewiston, Idaho. The Faire was not just a helpful fundraiser for the Barn, but also exposed the Barn to the public even more.

“We had a lot of new people that had never been here before,” Hartwig said.

ANNA ADAMS
Jennifer Whitten with her quilts at Artisans at the Dahmen Barn’s 18th annual Holiday Arts and Crafts Faire.

Resident vendor Jennifer Whitted said she has participated in the Barn Faire most years and has been with the Barn since its opening in 2007. Her craft is quilting, a skill she has been honing since the early 1990s. Walking into her studio, festive-colored quilt patches cover the walls. One unique way that Whitted quilts is by making portraits with finished quilt patches and fabric. Some of her more festive designs featured poinsettia flowers on the quilt patches.

Resident artist Tracy Randall also worked in her studio during the Faire and conversed with customers walking in to admire her work. She said her artwork was called “surface design,” which encapsulates many different crafts. Using fabric she dyes herself, Randall makes creative wall art pieces and clothing items. She has attended the Gala every year and is in her studio frequently on other days.

“It’s my happy place, I love it,” Randall said.

Although Hartwig did not get an estimate of the number of customers who came through the doors, she said it was well-attended and the reason she did not get an estimate was because she was so busy working with the influx of them coming through the giftshop. The kitchen at the barn served soup, dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls, and although Hartwig said she had made extra for this year, all of the cinnamon rolls and dinner rolls were out by 2 p.m.

“We had people coming in before we were even officially open. Until about five o’clock,” Hartwig said.

The Holiday Faire is not the end of the festivities for the Barn. There will be a holiday open house from 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Dec. 9 where customers can attend and try food samples from local artisans and enjoy homemade cookies.