Ask Life: How to get undergraduate research experience?

Visit research labs, consult peer mentors and do your own research
SHALLA NEWMAN
There are research opportunities for undergraduate students in many fields.

Dear Life Section,

I am a STEM undergraduate and I want to get some research experience to start my career. However, I do not know if the professors who work in labs take in undergraduate students to help with their studies.

Can you give me some guidance?

Sincerely,

Research Experience Pioneer

Dear Research Experience Pioneer,

There are plenty of opportunities for undergraduate research in diverse fields, from economics and biology to engineering and psychology.

WSU provides a research prep course, UNIV 199: Introduction to Directed Research, which is a one-credit course in the fall and spring semesters. This course focuses on exploring research opportunities at WSU in multiple disciplines and improving your qualifications for them.

Peer mentors can guide you through your process of finding the right lab as per your academic interests. They can also give you insights and share their research experience to give you an understanding of the process.

As a novice to research, it would be best to look into various labs and centers with opportunities for undergraduate research assistants. Professors often recruit undergraduate students for this purpose and in certain instances, you may also receive college credit.

The Bear Research, Education, and Conservation Center, for instance, is a great place to explore for a student studying veterinary sciences. Likewise, students can find a lab or institute to work with as per their choice of subject and interests.

You can select a lab that you are interested in working with and email the professor in charge regarding your interests.

The newsletters your advisors send out usually have some opportunities listed for research on campus, as well as summer research internships around the country. Keep an eye on those newsletters to avoid missing out.

WSU also allows you to conduct your own research. Learn more about funding your research, the research process, the faculty that can guide you and the chance to showcase your research findings.

Network and talk to mentors and other students who are experienced to help guide you and align you with your interests in the research field.

Sincerely,

The Life Section