Best volunteer opportunity

Best volunteer opportunity

The Whitman County Humane Society tied for first in best volunteer opportunity alongside the Center for Civic Engagement.

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”0af3b992-0514-11e6-82fb-3f0b44c9b34e”}}

Allison Breaker, animal care attendant and adoption counselor, calls the Whitman County Humane Society (WCHS) one of the best places to help the community.

“Every animal has someone willing to adopt them,” Breaker said.

Many WSU students know the WCHS from its Pet Your Stress Away events, often before finals week, where students can spend some time with animals from the shelter.

The goal of the event is to give students a relaxing break from the weight of exams and give the animals a chance to get out and socialize.

WCHS is a non-profit organization that operates on donations and volunteer work.

“Our volunteers average more than 200 hours monthly,” said Audrey Zoesch, director of shelter operations.

Volunteer opportunities at WCHS provide valuable experience for aspiring veterinary technicians, veterinarians, animal scientists and students who just want to make a difference in their community.

“Volunteers can also learn business organization skills,” Zoesch said.

There is no commitment for volunteering at a certain time or a certain amount of hours, Breaker said.

“The nice thing about volunteering for students is it is all on their own schedule,” Breaker said.

The WCHS welcomes non-volunteers to visit, socialize with animals and donate.

Reporting by Forrest Holt