Best Recover Food

In Pullman, some traditions never change. The allure of returning to WSU is fueled by rekindling experiences from past decades with the knowledge that they will for the most part remain the same as they have always been. 

Such is the motto of service for “Cougar Country Drive-In” and is perhaps the biggest factor as to why its traditional fast-food stands out to current WSU undergraduates. Cougar Country was selected in The Daily Evergreen’s Student Choice Awards as having the best “recovery” food in Pullman. 

“We are, as always, humbled by any award we receive from the WSU students,” Manager Brian Power said. “We are happy to be able to assist them in their need for ‘recovery food.’”

Opened in 1973, Cougar Country has specialized in maintaining a balance between preserving its culinary legacy as the dynamics of the WSU undergraduate experience and student body evolve and shift. 

Having served the same menu items and leaving the interior design of the drive-in unchanged, Cougar Country provides to more than four decades of Cougars and local residents a destination to grab some deep fried American food after a night out on Greek Row or following a football game up at Martin Stadium. 

“For us, it’s all about keeping things the same,” Power said. “Not changing too much and giving the student body the same experience as the one in generations preceding them. We want them to be told by their parents and aunts and uncles and grandparents to go and check out Cougar Country and have everything be as close to the same as it was when they were here.” 

With reasonable prices suited for the college student coupled with hearty portion sizes in meals, a Jim Dandy Bar or Cyclone never disappoints at any hour. Any of the hamburger, chicken or fish baskets and their salty and grease-fried composition do just fine for the Cougar student looking for an instant fill-up. 

The fixtures of the food and décor make going to Cougar Country feel as though one is taking a step back in time. The Drive-In’s priding of itself on respectable service and the original elements of “Wazzu” make it a top choice for students in need of a fast food recovery even 43 years after it first opened. 

“Ownership here is huge,” Power said. “They’re always riding me about tradition – the same food the same building – keeping that original footprint. We want people to have an experience that is good, satisfying, feel as though the time is the same, and one where they can reminisce.