‘A higher standard of rowing’

Cougar Crew plans to work hard toward new coach’s goals

JACKSON GARDNER, Evergreen reporter

With a new school year underway, Cougar Crew is back on the Snake River in preparation for the fall racing season.

Cougar Crew is still transitioning under the helm of new Head Coach and WSU alumnus, Peter Brevick. Brevick, who joined the Cougar Crew team in the beginning of August, began his career as an oarsman for the Cougars in 2002.

In addition to rowing for WSU, he has held two tenures as an assistant coach for Cougar Crew in 2007, and 2011 to 2012.

Brevick talked about Cougar Crew’s rich tradition of earning everything.

“We have a fearless mentality that no matter what the race, we are always going to throw down,” Brevick said. “I want these guys to understand that even though our team doesn’t receive money from the Athletic Department, there is no reason we can’t hold ourselves to a higher standard of rowing.”

With this fearless attitude in mind, the Cougars are eager for their opportunity to take on University of Washington at the historic Head of the Lake regatta in November. The 2017 Head of the Lake will mark 38 consecutive years for Lake Washington Rowing Club’s event.

It is the consensus favorite headrace amongst Cougar Crew. Other notable Pac-12 competitors at the Head of the Lake include Stanford, Oregon and Oregon State.

Cougar Crew’s first varsity eight will return six members including their senior coxswain Ridge Peterson. The five returning oarsmen are sophomore John Michael Najarian, junior Sam Callan, junior Devon McCornack, senior Zach Morgan and junior Nate Enderblock.

In total, 20 varsity athletes will return to Cougar Crew this season.

While over 25 freshmen showed out for the novice team this fall, most of them have never been in a crew shell before. However, freshman oarsman Jimmy Clark, who hails from San Carlos, California, breaks this mold. He is one of the few freshmen on the varsity team and is competing for a seat on the first varsity eight.

WSU will compete in an intersquad triathlon Sunday The triathlon is to Olympic scale, which consists of swimming 1.5 km, cycling 40 km and running 10 km.

Returning varsity athletes have already compiled one million meters of running, biking, swimming and rowing over the offseason to stay prepared for the physical demands of a 5000-meter headrace.