Get involved to make college transition smoother

WSU has numerous clubs you can join to avoid feeling left out

Joining Cougar Marching Band is one way of getting involved on campus.

CHLOE GRUNDMEIER, Evergreen reporter

Transitioning from home life to college isn’t easy. Having to make new friends, living on your own and starting fresh can be challenging.

Getting involved on campus is a great way to combat these issues and can provide students with support systems.

As a freshman, I decided not to initially join any activities. I spent the first two days alone in my dorm room crying and panicking about being alone and not having any friends.

My first few weeks on campus were difficult as I wasn’t involved in anything and didn’t feel like I had a support system. Then I joined the Cougar Marching Band.

My first home game was three days after I joined and I was utterly terrified, but I was surrounded by people who were there to help me and eventually become my best friends.

Suffice to say, my first two years at WSU would have been significantly different and much less successful had I not joined the CMB.

WSU has hundreds of organizations and clubs for students, from groups that make an impact on campus to groups that are just looking to have fun.

ASWSU President Savannah Rogers has been involved with several different on-campus organizations since her freshman year. She joined the Honors College, a sorority and started her involvement with ASWSU as soon as she arrived.

“A friend of mine, Madison Johnson, got me involved in high school and when she attended WSU she joined Alpha Omicron Pi,” Rogers said. “It was so apparent when I visited her how much AOII changed her college trajectory and her look on life.”

Rogers is a huge advocate for student involvement, and said ASWSU is a great place to start.

“If you have a passion and want to make change in regard to that passion, ASWSU has a place for you,” she said. “And even if ASWSU isn’t right for you, you’ll become knowledgeable about other organizations on campus so you can find what is right.”

WSU also has dozens of options for international or multicultural students to interact with people from a similar background.

Several colleges on campus, including the WSU School of Music and the Carson College of Business, have fraternities for students to get involved with and make connections. ROTC also provides students with resources that could help them succeed.

But sometimes joining a club isn’t about wanting to change the world propel your career forward. Sometimes you just need to set aside an evening for yourself to meet new people, talk about a common interest and have fun.

WSU has several of these lighthearted clubs, such as the WSU Humans vs Zombies club, Butch’s Baking Club and the Anime Club.

Anime Club President James Pearson recommends finding a club similar to his for people who have anxiety about joining a club, but want to meet new people and get involved.

“The Anime Club is a very low-stress environment,” he said. “We get together a few times a week and watch some fun shows and movies and just get to talk about something we all enjoy.”

Finding something you enjoy will make life away from home easier. Visit CougSync for a full list of clubs and organizations available on campus.

“You are in the driver’s seat now, nobody is making your decisions for you anymore and that’s terrifying,” Rogers said. “Ask yourself why you stayed involved with what you did in high school and find something that provides that here.”