Ask Life: How to deal with seasonal depression?

Tips for staying happy, motivated this winter
SHALLA NEWMAN
The dark and cold winter season can make you lose motivation.

Dear Life Section,

I am trying to stay on top of classes and my social life, but this weather makes me feel unmotivated, lazy and sad. Do you have any tips for turning that around?

Sincerely,

Unmotivated Student

Dear Unmotivated Student,

I totally understand that feeling. Many people go through the motions while barely keeping their head above water, and you know what is the culprit most times? The weather.

Seasonal depression is a term used to describe the effect the winter season can have on individuals. Many people start to feel sadder, keep to themselves and lose motivation when the season is darker and colder.

Here are a few tips for staying happy and motivated, even if the weather makes you feel otherwise: 

1. Take vitamin D

Taking vitamin D is thought to reduce the symptoms of depression and other mental health disorders, according to the National Library of Medicine. This is because the sun is a main source of vitamin D, and in the winter, people find themselves lacking in that important vitamin.

If the body is not healthy, it is harder to make the mind healthy. Eggs, fish, orange juice and milk are all good sources of vitamin D. Vitamin D supplements are also easy to find at your local Walmart or Walgreens.

2. Set small goals for yourself throughout the day

One thing that makes mental health worse is not only lacking the motivation to get things done, but also feeling like a failure for not accomplishing tasks.

Setting small, easy goals throughout the day and getting them done will not only increase productivity, but also increase self-esteem. For example, if the entire house or apartment you live in is messy, set not-too-overwhelming goals for tidying up. One day you can do your dishes, the next day you can clean your desk and so on.

3. Get out of the house

If the weather is cold and rainy, the last thing people want to do is get out of their comfy bed and go to class or hang out with friends.

However, a change of scenery is refreshing for the mind, and friends are encouraging to be around. Getting out of bed and making an effort to do something you do not feel motivated to do helps break the cycle of thoughts of feeling sad and lazy.

Seasonal depression can affect everyone to some extent. Take care of your mind and body and check on your friends to ensure they are doing so as well.

Sincerely,

The Life Section