Ask Life: What to do with degree after graduation?

Reviewing your resume, building up skills and more
HYELIM MIN
Start your transition from college life to job life.

Dear Life Section,

I am graduating this semester, and I have a lot of things I wish to do but the pressure is high. The question of what to do next is roaming around my head.

I just want to calmly glide through this semester. Do you have any suggestions?

Sincerely,

Stressed Graduand

Dear Stressed Graduand,

Graduating with a degree is a great achievement, but the feeling can also be daunting since you may be about to transition to a job life.

Try taking a minute to self-reflect and collect your values and skills together. Go over your resume and tailor it to emphasize your unique background and ensure you are the ideal candidate for every job you apply to.

Make sure you have fulfilled all requirements before applying for commencement. WSU Graduations can be of good help when checking off your requirements.

Build a strong network with professionals from your field. Join relevant professional associations, attend career fairs and connect with alumni who may be able to mentor you before you step into job searching.

Acknowledge the importance of soft skills like communication, teamwork, leadership and adaptability, and develop an application that smoothly highlights these skills as a part of your personality. Employers highly value candidates who work well technically and skillfully.

The beginning of this journey can bring unmanageable stress; investing some time in activities that bring you joy can be helpful. A work-life balance is a must while transitioning into a job life.

Learn some basic money management skills. The 50:30:20 rule — putting 50% into needs, 30% into wants and 20% into savings — can help you limit your expenses and save enough while doing so.

Explore all professional development opportunities. Attend seminars and conferences that help you stay up to date with technological improvements and trends in your industry. It is important to be tech-savvy; learn more about the software, tools and equipment that can be used to improve your technical literacy in your field.

Post-graduate experience is unique for everybody, and it is always good to learn new things while being in touch with your ground values and keeping a positive mind. Embrace all failures and keep striving.

Sincerely,

Life Section