Foundry focuses on more mature market

Business cultivates sophisticated mood with low light, menu

Foundry focuses on more mature market

Foundry head chef Trevor Vaught says restaurant recovered from recent social media issues.

BEN SCHUH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

BEN SCHUH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

BEN SCHUH | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

RYAN LUNDBERG, Evergreen reporter

Foundry Kitchen & Cocktails, occupying a part of an old church’s building downtown, is one of the only high-end restaurants in Pullman.

Head Chef Trevor Vaught said working at Foundry is different than working at a normal restaurant.

“There is a higher expectation,” Vaught said. “That is the biggest difference.”

The large windows of the restaurant offer a bright atmosphere in the day. At night, Vaught said they turn the lights down to create a more intimate feel. The interior design is dark and modern with wood and metal highlights.

Foundry’s regular customers are mostly professors and older adults, but Vaught said they also see plenty of WSU students during big events.

Vaught said he began working for Foundry several years ago and it took time to eventually rise to his current position. The restaurant has a group management style that allows him to focus closely on his cooking.

“There is a good structure here,” Vaught said. “Everyone works their way up.”

The restaurant has been distant from social media lately, Vaught said. Seven months ago, Foundry lost its passwords to multiple platforms and only managed to get them back a week and a half ago.

Vaught said the restaurant was in contact with Facebook and other social media sites as soon as they had lost their information. For over half a year, Foundry could not access emails and update their customers.

“We definitely took a step back on introducing new specials,” Vaught said. “We didn’t have a way to advertise it.”

Now that the restaurant’s social media has been restored, Vaught said there will be a few new lunchtime specials coming out soon.

Vaught said Foundry is careful not to rotate out dishes too quickly. Regular customers find their favorite cocktails and meals out of the variety the bar offers. Once people find something they like, they usually stick to it.

“In seven years of cooking, that’s what I found is not only profitable,” Vaught said, “but also engaging for the back of house and the front of house.”

Vaught said Foundry’s food is made with local ingredients from Spokane and Idaho. He also believes giving back to the community is very important.

As the weather warms up, diners can explore the locally-sourced menu options on Foundry’s patio by the fire pit.

Foundry Kitchen & Cocktails is on 125 SE Spring St. and is open 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday.

RYAN LUNDBERG, Evergreen reporter

Ryan Lundberg is a transfer student from Sammamish. He's a junior strategic communication major with a business minor. He enjoys to cook and his favorite...