A Seattle holiday

“The Nutcracker” performed by Pacific Northwest Ballet on Nov. 29, 2013. Seattle offers several opportunities to see classic holiday shows, including performances of “The Nutcracker” by the Pacific Northwest Ballet and the International Ballet Theater.

The holidays are a truly special time, with family, friends and a loving warmth that could melt the snow away.

With that being said, families have their own traditions and celebrations, but I have some ideas to create magical moments to be cherished for years to come.

As some of you may know, Seattle is my home. I get excited at the prospect of people visiting my city and I love playing tour guide if they do. While I can’t show every Coug around, I hope this will suffice.

Holiday Lights

There is a stunning variety of vivacious and effervescent events happening now. A personal favorite venue of mine is the Seattle Art Museum, or SAM for short. Their SAM light event is a real masterpiece. Walk around Olympic Sculpture Park and be a part of the art. Listen to music, make art, sip a hot drink and grab a sweet treat. Come wearing your best light-inspired garb and immerse yourself. SAM is located in the heart of downtown Seattle, which makes it a perfect date night with some amazing restaurants nearby.

Wild Lights and Zoo Lights are both showcases of animal shaped lights that will take your breath away. Walk around and sip some hot cocoa (or drink from the nightly beer and wine garden in the food pavilion) and come on weekends to visit Santa and his reindeer. Who knows, you may just meet Rudolph – he has a very shiny nose after all, much like a light bulb.

Do you know the gingerbread man? Well, he may just be living in Gingerbread Village. Celebrating its 23rd year, go and marvel at the intricate gingerbread creations and vote on a favorite. This year’s theme is “May the Holidays Be With You,” in honor of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” Go to this event you must. It is free with suggested donations for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

Carol of the plays

There is a plethora of plays and performances going on. ACT Theatre is producing the holiday classic “A Christmas Carol,” Seattle Radio Theatre has “Miracle on 34th Street,” Taproot Theatre is putting on “This Christmas,” Seattle Public Theater has “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever,” and ArtsWest will show you “Wonderful Life.” Pacific Northwest Ballet and International Ballet Theatre are both putting on “The Nutcracker.” For something more unique, The Triple Door is producing “Land of the Sweets: Burlesque Nutcracker.”

Santa Claus is

coming to town

Santa Claus is visiting Seattle Aquarium and suiting up in diving gear. If you ever wanted to take pictures with a submerged Santa, now is your chance. Nordstrom also steps up their mall Santa game by giving you a free cookie.

You can visit Santa and feed his reindeer at the Cougar Mountain Zoo’s Reindeer Festival event. I also want to emphasize that the zoo is called Cougar Mountain – that has to be a good sign.

Baby, it’s cold inside

I was talking about an indoor ice rink. Winterfest Ice Rink at Seattle Center, Redmond Synthetic Skating Rink and Magic Season Ice Arena in Bellevue are your best bets for some fun ice skating.

More information can be found about all these events with a quick internet search. I wish everyone a very happy holidays and new year.

Daniel Anderson is a freshman studying hospitality and business management from Bellevue. He can be contacted at 335-1140 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.