A rose by any other name: Rosewater, the ideal facial treatment

Rosewater is a natural, healthy alternative to the harsh chemicals found in most makeup products, and it is also easy to make at home.

Skincare fanatics agree; less is more. At least that’s what they say about the list of ingredients found in their products.

Most skincare products contain high amounts of genetically engineered ingredients and toxins that claim to improve the skin. However, the same results can be achieved through all-natural ingredients.

Rosewater is one of the most widely-used skincare alternatives. When used for the skin, rosewater benefits all skin types. It has been a beauty staple for thousands of years; even Cleopatra used rosewater as a facial mask.

If rosewater reaps so many benefits, why doesn’t it appear in more skincare products?

Well, rosewater is derived directly from rose petals. It takes a lot of rose petals to produce a small amount of rosewater, because the water is extracted from the petal. The large number of petals increases the cost of pure rosewater, so it is often too expensive to use in skincare products.

Unlike most man-made products that target specific skin types, rosewater benefits all users. It works to reduce acne inflammation, irritation and redness in oily and acne-prone skin. Unlike harsh chemicals such as benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid, rosewater calms the skin while naturally replenishing lost moisture.

Dry skin benefits from the hydrating power of rosewater, and it is known to soften dry skin. The calming effect of rosewater is also beneficial to those with irritated skin, puffy eyes, and those who want to tighten their pores.

Rosewater is a natural skin-toner, as well. Its restorative properties help to balance skin tone, to reduce acne spots and to add glow. Additionally, rosewater sprays are used for daily hydration, and can be used for makeup remover.

Beyond its beauty benefits, rosewater can be used in a variety of ways, such as in calming baths, aromatherapy and as a natural detox.

When purchasing rosewater, watch out for a similar ingredient known as rose essence. Unlike rosewater, which is naturally derived from rose petals, rose essence contains a chemical that smells like roses, but isn’t necessarily all-natural.

Making pure rosewater at home is relatively simple, and costs less money than purchasing rosewater. Place a generous amount of rose petals in a bowl, and place in direct sunlight. The sunlight will encourage the release of moisture from the petals, which leaves you with rosewater.

So next time you are in the market for a new toner, makeup remover or face mask, keep in mind that a natural product such as rosewater is more beneficial to your skin than harsher chemicals.

Alisa Smith is a sophomore communication and political science major from Arlington. She can be contacted at 335-1140 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.