Mirror, mirror: wearing makeup for women’s approval

The Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show is the one event of the year men and women alike fawn over the same women, usually for very different reasons.

While men look at the scantily-clad, busty-yet-skinny supermodels and wish that they could woo an Angel, women watch the show and wish they could magically become their favorite Angel.

So who is this fashion show really trying to impress?

When it comes to the consumer’s preference, Victoria’s Secret knows it must impress women more than men. As much as men love looking at beautiful women in silky lingerie, the whole fashion show is done to impress ladies.

Victoria’s Secret reports that 98 percent of its consumers are women. Considering they sell women’s lingerie, this seems pretty realistic. Which also explains why the models the company signs are almost universally liked by women. Victoria’s Secret marketers seem to think the same way their target audience does.

The same is true for how women do their makeup. Like the outfits in a Victoria’s Secret fashion Show, makeup is often worn for the approval of the women themselves and their female friends – it’s a bonus if men happen to like it as well.

I have a true love for winged eyeliner. I love the way it frames my face and the way it complements my eyelashes. But I don’t perfect my eyeliner every morning because I hope the cute guy in my class will say, “Hey Ali, your eyeliner looks amazing.” I would be waiting years for that to happen. The reason I spend so much time doing my makeup is because I want my girl friends to compliment me; after all, they’re the ones who appreciate it.

But even further than begging for compliments, the reason I want to look good is for myself. I believe confidence comes from portraying your best you. Some people may call me a cake face because I actually enjoy doing my makeup and I obsess over the newest eyeshadow palettes and iconic blushes, but in my world, confidence comes from dressing up for class and loving how I do my makeup every morning.

And yes, I am human. I love compliments. It really does make me feel good when my best friend tells me I look cute that day. The vast majority of compliments related to makeup and clothes that I get are from other girls.

Designer Betsey Johnson said: “Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves and, of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys they’d just walk around naked at all times.”

So rather than judging girls who spend an hour doing their makeup, or laughing at girls who try on four different outfits before they leave their rooms, why can’t we just appreciate the fact that they are simply trying to feel good about themselves.

That’s not to say women are only confident when they have tons of makeup and fancy clothes on. Women are powerful, beautiful individuals no matter what they look like or what they wear.

Remember that the person she’s trying to impress first and foremost is herself.

Alisa Smith is a sophomore communication and political science major from Arlington. She can be contacted at 335-1140 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.