Food and sex, a winning combination

Is the vanilla-scented incense not doing it for you in the bedroom? Perhaps spice things up by incorporating food into your love life.

Taking a page out of George Costanza’s book and attempting the integration of the pastrami sandwich might not be your best move, but the age-old technique of using food to increase pleasure seems to be just as relevant today as it was with the sexual pioneers.

A quick internet search can yield millions of results pertaining to sexy foods, but sifting through the fetishes to get to true scientific information can be a struggle.

Additionally, if you are thinking of jumping right into food during sex, you may be getting a bit ahead of yourself. The smart thing to do is to think about your food consumption prior to knocking boots.

Obviously, foods that will ultimately make you sluggish and bloated should be avoided, so taking a pass on the hot dog and Coca-Cola prior to getting busy might be your best bet.

According to Men’s Fitness, fruits, vegetables and nuts can be extremely beneficial in regards to maintaining sexual health. While they might not exactly get you in the mood, over the long term the benefits they provide are astounding. Everything from improving blood flow to reducing diseases affecting reproductive health can be achieved by simply being conscious about integrating some of these foods into your diet.

Now, once in the bedroom, there are some more rules to adhere to if you are looking to have a successful synthesis of love-making and food consumption. It’s hard to go wrong with the classics: strawberries, whipped cream and chocolate are sure to be crowd pleasers.

AskMen.com encourages couples to branch out a little bit. Using infamous aphrodisiacs such as oysters or frozen treats like popsicles, the options of exploration are endless. Even things as simple as ice can add to the excitement.

When the deed has been done and you are looking for that post-pounding cuisine, look no farther than simply indulging in your favorite foods.

The Date Report published its take on the 10 best post-sex foods, consisting of everything from fettuccini alfredo to oatmeal. Essentially, reward yourself for your recent feat. If you are still not finding anything that works for you, Ryan Gosling’s suggestion of pancakes is always on the table.

While it might take some encouraging of your partner to try something new, there are certainly benefits which can come from trying new things with food in the bedroom. Slowly integrating both during- and post-sex food has the possibility of taking your relationship to new heights, while taking note of the pre-sex food tips can improve not only your sex life, but your health and overall wellbeing.

Philip Grossenbacher is a sophomore English education major from Lynnwood. He can be contacted at 335-2290 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this Column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of The Office of Student Media.