RTOP After Dark series premieres with “Venus in Fur”

Jenni Zambriski as Vanda Jordan and Anthony Luetkenhaus as Thomas Novachek during a dress rehearsal of “Venus in Fur” the RTOP on Tuesday, Sept. 22. The play begins with Novachek’s search for an actress for his play and eventually leads to a struggle for power between the two characters.

Within a play where the lines are blurred between fiction and reality and power plays are made and lost, the audience is left contemplating characters with so much depth, their true nature remains mysterious.

The Tony Award-nominated, kinky comedy, written by David Ives, tells the stories of Thomas Novachek and Vanda Jordan, characters portrayed with strong performances by Anthony Luetkenhaus – the director of RTOP – and Jenni Zambriski, respectively.

Before the play, I had dinner at Rico’s in downtown Pullman. Our waiter noticed the play program on our table (the silhouette of knee-high, black boots on a pink background does catch the eye). She went to the show last Wednesday and summed it up quite well.

“It’s about power,” she said.

The play begins with a hopeless Thomas Novachek. He’s searching for an actress who can play the complex female lead in his play, but every New York woman who has tried out for the part is lacking in depth. Then enters (hours late for auditions) Vanda Jordan, a seemingly typical New Yorker who demands to read lines with Novachek.

The question of who has the power in their relationship is difficult to answer. He has the role that she wants. But she has the talent he needs for his show. He has the stage know-how to improve her acting. But she has the personality to bring his female lead to life.

The discussion continues in the play within the play. Novachek and Jordan act out a play in which an 1800s man and woman negotiate entering a sadomasochism (S&M) relationship with each other.

“The thing to remember is that no matter what the content of the show, it must be treated with respect,” Luetkenhaus said. “Uncomfortable becomes offensive when it’s not treated with respect.”

The show was a great start to a promising new series, RTOP After Dark, led by Luetkenhaus. The series features edgy, award-winning contemporary works. The modern, adult themes are geared toward the college age population that makes up a significant part of Pullman.

Another aspect of the After Dark series students may appreciate is the addition of alcohol to the Pullman theatre experience. The cash bar in the theatre was filled with merriment and ruckus laughter well before the performance. And guests were welcome to bring their drinks with them when the play started.

“This show went really well,” Luetkenhaus said. “It was well-attended and well received.”

The play did an excellent job of discussing the complexities of power in relationships, all with a single set and two actors. I left the theatre with more questions than answers about love and relationships. I think there is an audience in Pullman that appreciates this kind of work, and I’m looking forward to the future of RTOP’s After Dark series.

The next show is “Holiday Memories,” which will run at 8:30 p.m., Dec. 9 – 12.

Addy Forte is a senior apparel design and merchandising major from Seattle. She can be contacted at 335-1140 or by [email protected]. The opinions expressed in this column are not necessarily those of the staff of The Daily Evergreen or those of the Office of Student Media.